*** Non-Credit CD-ROM Course ***
A self-paced CD-ROM continuing education course
Who should take this course?
- Physician coding and billing staff
- Physician office managers
- Clinic and hospital coding and billing staff
- Medical billing companies
Time Based Coding is a comprehensive CD-ROM based interactive course that reviews medical services that are provided and coded based on time spent dispensing the service. OIG continues to monitor time-based codes, looking for errors in time calculation, documentation, and proper use of the codes.
Coders face additional challenges when coding services based on time. Not only must time-based services meet documentation, coding guidelines, and specific medical criteria, but they must also meet the time requirements. This course content will help the course user understand time factors, documentation, coding requirements, and specific medical criteria for CPT codes based on time.
The self-paced nature of the course allows you to work at your own pace. This is also an excellent way to satisfy the continuing education provision of the compliance plan of a physician practice or third party billing firm.
Here’s a sampling of what Time Based Coding covers:
- Defining time-based vs. typical-time codes
- 8 areas most likely to involve time-based codes:
- Critical Care
- Prolonged and Physician Standby Services
- Individual Psychotherapy
- Pediatric Critical Care Transport
- Individual Counseling for Preventive Medicine
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation: Therapeutic Procedures
- Hospital Discharge services
- Central Auditory Function services
- In each of the 8 areas, the following topics are covered:
- About the service — the services provided to the patient and what is involved during the patient encounter
- About the codes — reviews the time element involved with the service
- Timing — in detail, the time increments, minimum and maximum times, and time calculation
- What counts towards time — what type of service time counts towards the time-based service, and what types do not
- Documentation — how to document time-based services
- Types of time — review of CPT/AMA definitions of time types specifically established to report time-based codes
- When to start counting — understanding how to select the correct code for the amount of time (eligible to be counted) spent with the patient
- Final review quiz taken by user at end of course
- Examples, case studies, practice questions, review quiz with immediate audio and visual feedback
To run Time Based Coding on your computer, you must have a PC with Microsoft Windows 7, 8, or later, and a CD-ROM drive. The course is completely self-contained on CD; Internet connection not needed, and nothing gets loaded onto your hard drive. There are no preapproved CEUs associated with this course.
Any questions, just call us toll free at 800-515-3235. But remember, this course must be ordered directly through our website from this page.