*** 11.0 AAPC CEUs – POPULAR MEMBER OF OUR LINE-UP! ***
A self-paced CD-based continuing education course
Preapproved for 11.0 CEUs by AAPC: Core (CPC, CPC-H, CPC-P, CPB, CPPM) and/or all specialties except CPCO, CASCC, CIRCC
“In Alaska, there aren’t a lot of opportunities for continuing education locally. The courses from HealthcareBusinessOffice earn me CEUs without having to travel out of state.”
— D.H., Alaska
Who should take this course?
- Physician coding and billing staff
- Physician office managers
- Clinic and hospital coding and billing staff
- CPC and CPC-H certification holders fulfilling AAPC annual CEU requirements
Charting E/M Audits, a self-paced continuing education course on CD, offers comprehensive information on E/M documentation guidelines and code usage, and elaborates on how to audit services before they are billed, after they are billed, or how to focus the audit to target specific service areas. The course provides a comparison of the 1995 and 1997 E/M documentation guidelines and discusses the finer points of auditing with 1995 or 1997 rules.
Charting E/M Audits first reviews E/M services, the medical record, and the ABN, then uses that information and case studies to illustrate E/M auditing.
This course is available in the traditional CD-ROM media, or our exclusive Cloud-CD™ format. With Cloud-CD™ format, your computer won’t need a CD/DVD drive to run the course, but you will need access to the Internet. The image of the CD is stored “in the cloud”, so you can access course content using a browser on your system. Click here for more information on Cloud-CD.
Click here to see the brochure (requires Adobe Acrobat Reader) on Charting E/M Audits, or continue reading below.
Click here to view sample slides from the course (also requires Adobe Acrobat Reader).
The self-paced nature of the course allows you to work at your own pace. This is also an excellent way to satisfy the continuing education provision of the compliance plan of a physician practice or third party billing firm.
This course has been pre-approved for 11.0 Continuing Education Units from the AAPC. CEUs can be split between Core (CPC, CPC-H, CPC-P, CPB, CPPM) and all specialty credentials except CPCO, CASCC, CIRCC. For a reasonable expense, you’ll be able to tune up your knowledge and fulfill a good portion of your annual CEU requirement!
Here’s a sampling of what Charting E/M Audits covers:
- Chapter 1 – E/M Services
- Documentation of E/M Services
- Quantity vs. quality of documentation
- E/M code selection process
- Key Components: an overview
- History (and its components)
- Exam (and its levels)
- Medical Decision Making (and its complexities)
- Pulling key components together to arrive at level of service and code selection
- Chapter 2 – The Medical Record
- Necessary elements that make up a complete medical record
- Purpose of a complete medical record
- What elements 1995 and 1997 guidelines agree on that make up a medical record
- Typical elements of a medical record reflect a specific patient population
- Chapter 3 – The ABN
- ABN purpose
- When to use the ABN
- Who receives the ABN
- Valid delivery of the ABN
- Triggering an ABN
- Documentation of ABN activities
- Chapter 4 – About the Audit
- Auditing and the electronic health records (EHR)
- Reasons for doing and audit
- Common errors found in a medical record
- Review of the three types of audits
- Chapter 5 – What’s in an Audit
- Deciding the purpose and scope of the audit
- Two steps to further focus an audit
- Review of specific areas to ensure a complete medical record
- Review certain types of forms, requirements, and information for completeness of the medical record
- Chapter 6 – Audit Process
- Six stages of an audit
- Deciding on audit tools
- Comparing information documented to what was coded
- Presenting problems uncovered in an audit
- Types of education, continuing education, and training for weak areas found in an audit
- Summary reports
- Chapter 7 – 1995 vs. 1997 Guidelines
- Comparison of the 1995 vs. 1997 guidelines
- Focused discussion where specifically 1995 and 1997 guidelines differ
- Discussion of the HPI, Exam, MDM, and Risk
- Bullet system for documentation elements
- Point system for patient problem, and medical data review
- Key components of E/M will be tied into auditing these types of services
- Examples, case studies, practice questions, review quiz with immediate audio and visual feedback, rationale guide
To run Charting E/M Audits on your computer, the CD-ROM option requires a PC with Microsoft Windows 7, 8, or later, and a CD-ROM drive. The Cloud-CD™ option is compatible with either an Apple Mac or a Windows PC.
Make your selection below. Additional user licenses can be added when you get to the shopping cart.
Additional users: For this course, we offer user licenses for additional users sharing the same CD, for $75 each additional user. Must be purchased at the same time as the CD. A great way for significant savings when multiple users can share the same CD.
Any questions, just call us toll free at 800-515-3235.